GM Consulting Services
As a GM with 26+ years of experience, I have tried, over the years to help out my fellow GM’s, whenever I can. I have answered questions on discussion boards, I have written blog posts, and I have even given talks at GenCon, specifically to help GM’s. While all of these efforts have been positive; in many cases they have been less specific, and more generalized. In an effort to help GM’s more specifically, I am currently offering my GMing knowledge and skills for hire, to GM’s who want hands-on help. I am your GM For Hire.
A GM For Hire sounds like a pretty bold thing. What makes me qualified as a GM? I have 26+ years of experience playing RPG’s. I currently blog about GMing. I have given presentations at GenCon on various GMing topics. I present a copy of my Gamer Resume (PDF) for your review. This resume contains all my major campaigns that I have run, games that I have played, blogs I have written for, and presentations given.
I think this resume shows that I have a well rounded background in RPG’s and a lot of time behind the screen. That background combined with my time GMing has given me a lot of experience to draw on, in helping you with your specific GMing needs.
So what kinds of things can I do for you?
- Brainstorm Ideas– I am very strong at developing ideas for all sorts of campaign elements. I can help you create a complex NPC, develop a new cult, a nation, a conspiracy, etc. Running low on ideas for your next campaign arc? I can help. You can provide me with a rough outline of what you are looking for, or I can develop them on my own.
- Player Analysis– Tell me about your players, and I can help you understand what kind of gamers they are, and more importantly what you should be doing to give them the best play experience.
- Group Management– Being a GM is not just about running the game, its about coordinating and facilitating the group. I can provide tips for how to coordinate complex group schedules, resolve inter-group conflicts, and how to keep your group focused and engaged at every session.
- Session Prep Techniques– Time is very precious and getting your session notes created as fast as possible is key to being prepared every game. I have developed a number of techniques for making session prep quick and efficient. I can work with you to help you develop your own system that will work for you.
- Rules Counseling– I can review rules questions with you, help you design and review house rules, for your games.
- Campaign Management– Keeping a campaign alive and running is no easy task. I have run many campaigns in my 26 years, some have been huge successes, and some have been huge failures. In all of them, I have learned lessons about what contributes to the success of a campaign. I can provide you guidance on how to keep your campaign running session after session.
Services Not Currently Available
Most maids don’t do windows, and there are a few services I do not provide as your GM For Hire.
- Running Sessions– There are too many logistical issues involved, so I am not running sessions for a group. There are some people who are talking about those kinds of services, but I am not one of them.
- Adventure Design– While I will help you brainstorm and come up with ideas, I am not currently offering, full adventure design. There are places that are offering up adventure design services, including my good friend, the Chatty DM’s Kobold Love, or Wolfgang Baur’s Open Design.
- Stat Block Building– I do not build stat blocks for NPC’s and such. While I will help you brainstorm interesting NPC’s for your campaign, the mechanical creation of them is in your hands.
I will measure my deliverables to you in terms of words and pages. The rule of thumb, that I use is that using Arial 12, on a standard page, is approx 400 words per page. For projects that require a write-up, I will define a number of pages or words for the work to be done, in advance, for your approval. Projects will be done in Google Docs, and at various times, I will share the document with you for you review. At the end of the work, I will fully share the document with you. You can then export the document to any number of formats, including MS Word and PDF.
For more discussion based work, campaign advice, player analysis, etc. I will use a Gmail account to correspond with you. I will only charge time, based on the time it takes me to write my email responses. I promise no more than 24 hours for a response, but typically can promise same-day responses.
Since I am not aware of anyone doing this kind of work before, pricing is not going to be an exact science, and may be subject to change, at future date. For right now, I have two pricing methods available:
- Hourly Pricing– These are for small questions, problems, or issues. In most cases, this pricing will be used, when I help you address a specific issue, come up with a single campaign element, etc. The deliverable for this kind of work will almost always be an email response. You ask the question, I will review it and let you know how many hours it would take to solve. The rate for this, is $10/hr.
- Proposal– In this case, you define something you need, for your game, that is a bit larger or a needs to be more refined, than just an email response. These can be things like: a conspiracy for an espionage game, or a set of nations for a fantasy game, descriptions of a conclave of wizards. We set a number of pages of material you want and when you need it by, and I will establish a timeline, and determine a single price for the work. I will define a schedule, detailing when I will complete various milestones: outline, first draft, and final document. If the scope is large, I will ask you to make partial payments as I reach the various milestones.
As for how I get paid, well for that, there are two methods as well:
- Cash...more specifically PayPal– nothing wrong with cash, and I have a PayPal account set up, that you can make payments to. Cash always works.
- Barter– I am in need of several things, all listed below. If you are someone who has the skills for some of these things, I would be willing to trade an equal number of my hours of time, for your hours of time to get some of the following things (If you have some other item in mind, feel free to ask):
- WordPress Theme– I would like to get a new theme for my site, and I am not skilled in CSS or PHP.
- New Logo– My limited CorelDraw skills got me my current banner, but I would love a professionally drawn banner, and logo for my site.
- Cartography– I am terrible at maps, and I would love to get a map for my Iron Heroes campaign, The Throne Of The Demon King. I have some crude JPG’s done in Fractal Mapper, but I have always wanted a nicely drawn map.
- Character Drawings– I have no drawing skills in the least, and I would love to get a sketch of the 4 main characters in my Iron Heroes campaign.
- Gamer Accessories– A gamer can never have enough pouches, or other handmade items. I don’t have a specific list, though I am all set on a dice rolling tray, thanks to the guys at Dwarven Sweateshoppe.
If You Are Interested
Please fill out this page below, and I will contact you.